FC2 is the second generation female condom to FC1. FC2 was developed to take the place of FC1, providing the same safety and efficacy during use, but at a lower cost. The effectiveness of FC2 was studied by comparing FC2 performance to FC1, the studies showed FC2 to be comparable to FC1. Certain other studies have shown that having the FC female condom available allows women and men to access more prevention options and results in an increase in protected sex acts and a decrease in STIs, including HIV/AIDS.
FC2 has high acceptability among both men and women in many countries. FC2 has the same design and instructions for use as the original FC female condom. The material has been changed to improve affordability, while maintaining the high quality, reliability and features of FC1. FC2’s sheath, with its outer ring, is made from a synthetic nitrile. The inner ring aids insertion and helps to secure the device in place during intercourse while the softer outer ring remains outside the vagina. Insert FC2 prior to sexual intercourse to provide protection against HIV/AIDS, other STIs and unintended pregnancies.
How To Use the Female Condom (FC2)
FC2 Female Condom is not difficult to use but it may take some practice to become comfortable with it. Women should practice inserting and removing it prior to using it for the first time during sexual intercourse. Insertion becomes easier with practice. We suggest trying FC2 at least 3 times before making any decisions about future use.
“How To” Instructional Video
Step By Step Instructions:
TO OPEN THE PACKET
- Locate arrow at tear notch on upper right-hand corner and tear open Fig. A.
- Rub the outside of the pouch together to be sure the lubrication is evenly spread inside the pouch from the bottom to the top.
- Take out FC2 and look at it closely to make sure it is not damaged.
TO INSERT THE FC2 FEMALE CONDOM
- Find a comfortable position. Try standing with one foot up on a chair, or sit with knees apart, or squat down.
- Be sure the inner ring is at the bottom, closed-end of the pouch Fig. B.
- Hold the pouch with the open end hanging down. While holding the outside of the pouch, squeeze the inner ring with your thumb and middle finger.
- Place your index finger between the thumb and middle finger and keep squeezing the inner ring Fig. C (a).
- Or just squeeze – whichever is easier for you Fig. C (b).
- Still squeezing the FC2 Female Condom with your other hand, spread the lips of the vagina as if you were getting ready to insert a tampon.
- Insert the squeezed FC2 Female Condom as shown in Fig. D.
- Take your time. If the FC2 Female Condom is slippery to insert, let it go and start over.
- Now push the inner ring and the pouch the rest of the way up into the vagina with your index finger. Check to be sure the inner ring is up just past your pubic bone Fig. E.
- You will feel your pubic bone by curving your index finger when it is a couple of inches inside the vagina.
- This step may be hard to do on the first or second try because the FC2 Female Condom is lubricated.
- Take your time and push the closed end of the FC2 Female Condom up to where you can feel the pubic bone.
- Make sure the FC2 Female Condom is inserted straight (not twisted) into the vagina.
- It is also important that the outside ring lies against the outer lips of the vagina as shown in Fig. F.
- About one inch of the open end will stay outside your body. FIG. F. While this may look unusual, this part of the FC2 Female Condom helps protect you and your partner during sex. Once the penis enters, the vagina will expand and the slack will decrease.
- Until you and your partner become comfortable using the FC2 Female Condom, use your hand to guide the penis into the vagina. See Fig. G.
- After two or three times, you should become familiar with using the FC2 Female Condom and should hardly notice the pouch or the outer ring during sex.
- You may notice that the FC2 Female Condom moves around during sex. See Fig. H.
- Movement side-to-side of the outer ring is normal.
- Sometimes the FC2 Female Condom may slip up and down in the vagina, “riding” on the penis. Both the vagina and the penis are still covered.
- However, if you notice the FC2 Female Condom is slipping out of the vagina, STOP, remove, and insert a new FC2 Female Condom.
- If you begin to feel the outer ring being pushed into the vagina, STOP (Fig. I). Or, if the penis starts to enter underneath or beside the pouch, STOP (Fig. J). Take out the FC2 Female Condom. Put in a new FC2 Female Condom. Make sure the outside part lies over vagina.
- To take out the FC2 Female Condom, squeeze and twist the outer ring to keep the sperm inside the pouch.
- Pull out gently.
- Throw away in a trash can. Do not flush. Do not reuse. Please see Fig. K.
To help reduce your risk of pregnancy and the spreading of a sexually transmitted infection:
- Use a new FC2 Female Condom correctly every time you have sex.
- Follow the directions carefully.
- Be sure you don’t tear the FC2 with fingernails or other sharp objects.
- Natural rubber latex condoms for men are highly effective at preventing sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS, if used correctly.
- If you are not going to use a male natural rubber latex condom, you can use the FC2 Female Condom to help protect yourself and your partner.
- The FC2 Female Condom only works when you use it. Use it correctly every time you have sex.
- Before you try the FC2 Female Condom, be sure to read the directions and learn how to use it correctly.
- ConCon.org Contraceptive Highlight: Trojan-Enz Spermicidal Lubricated Condoms
- VIDEO: Australian condom commercial banned for being too sexy
- 2013 ConCon.org Sexy Holiday Buying Guide (Part 2: Stocking Stuffer Accessories)
- 2013 ConCon.org Sexy Holiday Buying Guide
- ConCon.org Contraceptive Highlight: Trojan Enz Non-Lubricated condoms
TagsAIDS anal sex birth control civil rights college condom condoms contraception dildo embarrassing equal rights family planning female from our readers funny gay gay pride gay pride month gay rights gay sex harness HIV homosexual lesbian LGBT love safely lube lubricants Male masturbate masturbation oral oral sex Organic politics pride pride month queer safe sex sex sex toy stories story valentine Valentines Day